View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was there for my stag on St Paddys day, that city is a blast. We are early 30's so not far off your mark. Definitely do the Fenway tour if you can, you guys will be able to step at least near the field at that time as well (we weren't because it was March and under construction). Try and get earliest time, we got there for the first showing and they had just finished hosing everything down to clean it, felt like just off the movies. Crisp air standing in the bleachers looking out at the empty field/stands, it was pretty special.

The only thing that beat that experience for me was walking around Boston Common. Fairly large size park in the middle of the downtown. One morning a buddy and I walked with a coffee at sunrise, I know it sounds weird but something about it reminded me of home. Lots of historical statues/monuments to observe as well.

As far as drinking goes, we hit a lot of pubs... definitely stop in at Beer Works next to Fenway, it is literally just up the street. It was hands down the best beer and food I had all weekend. It is a bit of a nicer brew pub but still has that Bawstan attitude.

We did the historical pubs as well, Green Dragon and Bell In Hand.. both were good but they turned into dance clubs around 10 or so.. might be different when you are there though. Nothing very special about either of these places, there were nicer pubs we visited that I can't remember the names of, but I am sure people here will help with that.

I would check out Southey too. Lots of good pubs down there on the Paddy's day parade route and the people were very friendly (especially the females).

Then on top of all that, you have to hit the harbor area and get some fresh sea food and enjoy a pint looking out at the water. It was a bit chilly in March but we made it work and it was still an enjoyable experience, in nicer weather it would be a real treat.

Edit: Forgot hotel, we stayed at Courtyard Downtown Boston. I think it was 300+ a night, was clean.. a bit dated. Hotel staff were very helpful and it had a good central location. The train station was a 5 minute or less (depending how tipsy you are) walk and then I believe Fenway was about 12 minutes on the train and the downtown pub area was less than that.

Train was great to start the night out on, but cabs were everywhere and very well priced compared to here. In most cases you could just negotiate a price ahead of time. Lots of private drivers as well that were even cheaper.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 07-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post: