View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm in somewhat the same boat.

I always felt that Star Trek took itself way too seriously and never really had a lot of fun.

I mean, Starfleet is huge, they cant all be 'Captain Picard,' theres bound to be some screwups and losers, and with Rodenberry's adamant stance that it be some Utopia and that characters couldnt have issues between each other you could see how it got stale.

So I like the concept, I thought it was going to be an entire crew of screwups and losers who know that the Orville is the 'Last Chance Saloon' before they're crewing garbage scows on the Outer Rim.

But I do like the fact that most of the crew are quirky but competent.

Anyways, I'm really not a fan of MacFarlane's humour but I thought this episode was pretty good and I'm looking forward to more.
We're on the same page, I mean the closest we got to that was in voyager when Tuvok took on the worst of the crew to train them, and in the span of that episode they became basically the avenger, really competent and above average functional crew members.

I think the key point is that in this story there are 3000 ships in the fleet. They were also careful to remark that the heavy cruisers got all the good personal and captains, so to me the mediocre crew get assigned to the "Medium Sized Exploration vessels". Basically you're not good at your jobs so we'll put you on smaller ships so if we lose you its not a big loss, but if you overcome you might get to go to a big ship.

I mean even the first mission is a milk run that they can't screw up at all. We need you to deliver some crap, I think that's why the crew reacted in the way it did when they learned that their mission was far different.

I expect that at some point we're going to see the Orville running into a heavy cruiser and we're going to see an absolute clash of cultures. It will basically be like what would happen if Jean Luc Picard had to deal with a smart a%% ups delivery driver.

JLP - "All right we're doing this by the book"

Captain Ed - "Wait there's a book?"

If this galaxy assigns you to ship sized based upon performance, whats the crew of a small exploratory vessel going to be like?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote