View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
my boss is going on maternity leave in about 3 weeks, and my employer is expecting to divide the duties among a few of us foot soldiers, rather than hire somebody to fill the gap.

i'm new (3yrs) to the office/corporate world in my field and don't know what expectations are from management, but i need some input from people with similar experiences.

context: i work at a small land developer/home building company in yyc.

am i obligated to accept any additional roles or duties they push my way? do i have the ability to refuse additional workload without being 'blackballed' (for lack of better term)? should i be expecting any additional compensation for any extra duties i incur? am i a fool for considering rejecting an increase workload/responsibility?

all constructive input welcomed!
I was in a similar position, I took on a role in addition to mine for a 6 month (ragged out to 2 year period).

This role allowed me to leap frog many in front of me for another role when the opportunity came up. Had I not jumped at that opportunity, I wouldn't have had my name and work known when a promotion came along. That 6 months translated into a higher role and 25% compensation bump.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: