View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #204
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's all relative to the pedigree of the prospect. Lesser prospects have far less opportunities so for them it's makes sense to stick with the opportunity provided by the team that drafted them.
from my understanding, most high caliber kids sign one or two years out of college because their draft teams make them a high priority and want them to develop under their system/organization...the NCAA provides lists of college UFAs at the end of the season every year IIRC... and when there was some concern about Johnny, i recall looking and not being very impressed with that list at all

its the late bloomers, late round picks that tend to spend all fours in college and even then, i'd bet that those that wait all four years sign with their draft team over 50% of the time...

too lazy to do the research myself... but i am sure someone will look into it!

EDIT: here's a list of guys that became college free agents....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/l...gent-signings/

probably not a comprehensive list, however, its not exactly a murderers row of difference makers... Vesey, Hayes and Shultz are all excellent players ... Bozak, Krug and DeKeyser were not drafted and were late bloomers.

not saying Hickey won't go to Free Agency, but it doesn't seem like a lot of players on that list either

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 04-15-2017 at 01:09 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: