View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t know if I had too many incredible moments but really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I probably wouldn’t pick Parrot because of the judging fiasco, maybe I’d pick the women’s hockey team beating their rivals twice enroute to Gold. I enjoyed some of the skiing and snowboarding the most, and while not Canadian, was very happy to see Jacobellis finally get her gold.

I also really enjoyed watching the Canadian curling teams even though they didn’t have the success we hoped for. Yes I would expect a curling summit of sorts. It is a sport that Canada owns like no other but something’s not happening at the elite level. I think other countries see that sport as an easy way to develop a small number of elite athletes to compete for medals despite the lack of popularity of the sport recreationally.
No really moments for me this time, all the sports and moments seemed balanced. I was pleased to see Gushue get his bronze. I think that team will break up after the season.

For curling, I'm interested in Japan. They have the population and they love a technical sport like curling. If the women win gold tonight, they would catapult its popularity. Those girls would be rockstars.

Little known fact but it was Nagano that insisted that curling in the 98 games. It was probably slated for Salt Lake City. The IOC really wanted to showcase women's hockey and Japan, who didn't really care for hockey, said, "If you're bringing in women's hockey, you have to bring in curling too. It's both or neither." So curling piggybacked on women's hockey to get in.

They built the curling venue in the little town of Karuizawa and the entire town embraced it. I think that arena still exists and they still curl there.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote