View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #2886
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I appreciate your effort in this thread to talk about these issues, but posts like this are why its quite obvious that your perspective on this issue is simply not based in reality.

Countries are pouring billions into coal simply because they have NO otheralternative. Natural gas is not readily available, especially in China, whereas coal is abundant and cheap. China is building out renewables faster than any country on earth, and it is LITERALLY not capable of replacing coal. How that is not clear to the anti-fossil fuel crowd is beyond me.

The emission reduction process was simply.
Short term, replace coal with natural gas. The US did this and cut their overall emissions 20% since 2005.

Medium term build out proven renewable sources. Solar, wind, etc. Obviously this technology is getting better, but it is STILL not capable of providing even close to our baseload power needs.

Long-term focus on nuclear, including SMR and other technologies that are clean and long-lasting, and are capable of providing base load capacity regardless of weather. Something renewables cannot do.

Longer-longer term, focus on high capacity energy storage & grid improvements.

I'm not sure what part of the process you think we're at, but it is quite clear we cannot move past the first stage.

Next year we will be in a worse position in terms of worldwide emissions rates from coal burning than at any point in the last 15 years. 1 step forward, 10 steps back. 100% due to the anti-fossil fuel morons who spent the last 10-15 years making bloody sure natural gas gets as LITTLE support as possible.

Pretty sure you are part of that crowd. Congrats. Nothing like allowing delusional fantasies turn into actual policy decisions which end up coming back to screw us over.
China energy that is renewable is growing at a wildly higher rate than coal.
But yes - coal is growing there as well.

Alberta - which is loaded with natural gas - still uses coal for power until next year. China will get there.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote