View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #148
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 38. I put 10% of my paycheque to an rrsp that my company then matches another 6%.

I could have paid off my house next year (10 years), but instead chose to use the money on 2 rental properties instead, and hopefully have my house paid off in 15 years. I know some here are arguing buying properties as maybe not the best investment in their minds, but I find it's what's working so far for me. I get rental income to pay off the mortgages on those properties, and then hopefully down the road I get some good equity from them, both from the rental income paying off the principle and the appreciation of the property several years later. Yes, there is work involved in getting and maintaining tenants, but there's no such thing as easy money. Everything takes work, so I don't mind it.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I think I'm saving ok for retirement. Unless something drastically changes, I don't expect to retired before 65 or even 70. And really, I'm not much of a traveler, so I probably won't be spending as much as normal people on travelling. I like travelling to an extent, I just don't get as much enjoyment out of it as most people seem to. I find the cost-to-enjoyment ratio of travelling to be lower than say if I spent that money on other things. But I'm just weird that way.

Lol, and I just re-read my posts from 4 years ago. I'm not saying I'm frugal or anything, I do spend money. I just expect myself to live till I'm 90 and want to make sure I'm not one of those guys who is old and struggling to get by. That kinda freaks me out. I don't know how reliable OAS and GIS will be in 30 years.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 05-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote