View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #122
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I think he's forced because of the menial nature of his job. The way he just so happened to be there to overhear Sauls predicament and how he bailed him out. He should have been one of the cops, that would have been better. But still, it's a minor complaint. Love the show so far.
Totally understand, but in Breaking Bad it was implied that he had been displaced as a cop, through something possibly outside of his control, that relegated him to something below his skills and intuition. The parking attendant in Albuquerque fits that bill, and his conflict with a totally diametric personality in Jimmy is completely believable. I'm assuming the detectives are aware of Mike's history, appeal to his sense of justice, and try to use him to to apply pressure to Jimmy who they think is protecting a guilty client.

The fact that he sees through to the truth in an entirely practical way speaks to his character. His conflict with Jimmy doesn't interfere with his rationale, and he draws on his experience and training when listening to Jimmy's story.

At first, it seemed convenient for Mike to completely reverse his decision to press charges and be amicable with Jimmy in the stairwell. Yet, when you look back on the character and extrapolate an identity it actually fits quite well. Mike is, quite frankly, a logical pragmatist in every way outside of matters that involve his grand-daughter.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: