View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #49
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Interesting, thanks for the link. I use audiobooks because I enjoy doing something at the same time as "reading", like clean or walk or whatever. Just sitting and looking at a book is not satisfying to me.
Me too. I actually find I can focus better on the content when I'm doing something else like cycling or walking. My mind wanders off less than it does when I'm actually reading. I do a tonne of actual reading too, but unless it's dense info I find my imagination often ends up taking over as it follows some thread from the book and the part of my brain that's actually reading just continues on autopilot, then I need to go back to find where my attention wandered off and reread from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People who listen to audiobooks at increased speed are sociopaths.
I'm pretty sure that most books on Audible are actually slowed down and you need to listen to them at 1.15 or 1.25 speed just to make it natural. Audible sets the price of audiobooks in relation to length, so there's an incentive to make them longer by slowing them down.

I also find that the faster I listen the less distracted I get and the more I remember. The more I listen at increased speeds, the more comfortable it gets too. When I had long commutes a couple of years ago I got through more than 70 books in a year, including lots of long books and dense subject matter. I don't enjoy doing it with fiction very much, but with non-fiction I used to find 2.25 was my optimal speed for retention and I could listen for extended periods at up to 3.0. Slower than 1.25 is painful even with fiction though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote