View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #431
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Reading some Batman I picked up a while ago. Cataclysm, Road to NML and No Man’s Land. All are the newer editions that include all the related titles.

I’m shocked at how good it is. The old adage that Marvel gets all the artists and DC the writers never seemed more true, for this era at least. Compared to something like Onslaught or any X-Men crossover for that matter or any Spider-Man crossover, it’s shocking. The art does kinda suck but man the writing is so much darker, story driven and well coordinated for such a huge crossover.

People dying, getting crushed, kids dying, people killing themselves. It’s just feels so much more grounded, despite some whacky villains, because it feels like it’s happening to a real city with real people. Marvel crossovers of this era always felt so detached and kid friendly.

Even compared to the highly rated Marvel crossovers, of the 80s/90s, like Mutant Massacre and, I hate to say it, AoA this is far superior writing in every imaginable way. Onslaught, AoA, Zero Tolerance etc all look amazing but they’re real thin on quality storytelling.

I’m 20 years too late but kudos DC. This is quality storytelling on a large scale.

Not that DC is perfect. Knightfall has all of the same downsides as the aforementioned Marvel crossovers. I didn’t even finish. It reeked of a mid 90s cash in where more attention was paid to the die cut wraparound foil enhanced holographic covers than the content. I also found Death in the Family to be pretty lame for such a massive storyline, albeit not a crossover.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote