View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #41
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
For these I highly, highly recommend that beginners and intermediate players record yourself playing some riffs or chord progressions/songs on your phone and then listen back. It's really eye opening in a bad way, lol.

But it makes you think harder about timing, rhythm and missed/extra notes. It's a hundred times harder to play things in time than out of it and arguably the most important skill to acquire early on.

Yes. For electric, John Petrucci also recommends practicing in the bathroom (or similar small tiled room) without an amp as that will truly allow you to dissect you playing. The amp, delay, etc can cover a bunch of stuff up.

For your recording idea...I will use an iRig and the amplitude app. It will allow you play with a song but only record you so you can listen back and really see how the band is saving you!

I’m not much removed from beginner really (lack of practice time and old dog new tricks) and I’ve started to do this a lot. Working on Rats and Square Hammer (Ghost) and did a play through that sounded awesome to me over top of the song...listened back and not so much. It wasn’t awful...notes were correct and rhythms by and large correct but it wasn’t smooth. That allowed me to concentrate on keeping everything more connected etc...

Last edited by ernie; 03-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: