View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #32
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Learning guitar?

Yeah I honestly think I have a mental block against certain notes. And then my voice can go really low so singing male vocal parts ( as far as rock and jazz go) can be a piece of cake. I love singing Pearl Jam and Sevendust. I can belt, but then in bel canto (classical) style can do coloratura, just not super high. I’m not going to do Queen of the Night anytime soon. I can do a D6 in jazz and rock, but it’s hit and miss in classical. My bel canto teacher likes to stop me at A5, saying I don’t need to go higher which is crap. Plenty of higher mezzo roles. My jazz teacher says she’s full of crap lol.

Don’t know if you guys have NATS up there, but I often think organizations like that make it worse, and are more about ensuring jobs for teachers than anything else. My bel canto teacher wouldn’t dare let me venture into Sfogato territory, as that would mean she was wrong about my fach. I have never met someone so ridiculously stubborn and it could be the end of our relationship. But she is the local VP of National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS ) and I don’t know if that should mean anything actually in terms of getting a classical gig or something.

In any case, back to guitar. I’m still working on my callouses. I bought a used Yamaha APX 600- it’s an electric/acoustic. It was 200 bucks. I really like the action.

I also have a Fender bass and a Charvel Charvette guitar. Anyone have one of those? Basically a piece of plywood but it’s awesome!

So cool that you play jazz, Photon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 03-18-2020 at 02:47 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdpuck For This Useful Post: