View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #51
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He may be a better bounce back canditate but he gets paid more and has more term. There's little doubt the Flames would be obtaining Matt Stajan V2 (massively overpaid 4th line center) in the back half of the deal with Backlund already on that course to be an expensive 3rd line center. Is that something the Flames would like to revisit? Would maybe a better first season or two be worth the long term consequences? I'm not sure.
At his best, Turris is a dynamic skilled player with a good shot and a good skater.

I don't think the Stajan comparison is relevant. The skill set is very different.

I don't know what happened last year, but prior to that, he was a very consistent 20 goal, 50 point centre, with the ability to put up 60 plus points when paired with a top playmaking winger (Mark Stone), which the Flames happen to have.

Turris's skating and premium centre position should keep him more effective than Neal moving forward. Especially if the Neal we saw last year is what he's going to continue to be. Neal was completely ineffective, he could not skate and he had no velocity on his shot.

At least Turris can be a two way centre if his offense dies. If Neal isn't scoring, he can't do anything else as we have already seen.