View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #29
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That is because Sens ownership has been an embarrassment for years. Quebec already lost their team once and now has an NHL ready arena and people ready to spend money on the team. Quebec and Montreal was a great rivalry, Ottawa has no rivalry, nobody cares about Leafs vs Sens or Habs vs Sens. As a matter of fact 90% of hockey fans in Ottawa care about the Leafs much more than the Senators. QC is also close enough that the Senator fan base is still close. Have a tissue, bring back the Nords!
Revisionist history. Rivalries, even the BOA, are contingent on stakes. When both teams are good, the rivalry flourishes. Sens-Leafs rivalry from 1999-2004 was as intense as any in the league. I could feel that even living in Calgary. It was at least on-par with Habs-Nordiques. In both cases, they were secondary to the traditional Habs-Leafs rivalry.

Saying 90% of hockey fans in Ottawa care more about the Leafs is just idiotic. You've clearly never spent any time talking with people about hockey in Ottawa. I would argue Leafs support in Ottawa is not substantially more than in cities like Calgary or Edmonton. Leafs fans come out when they are in town but otherwise support the local team.

I agree that Sens ownership has been an embarrassment for years. That's why I said the fans deserve an owner worthy of them. They do not deserve to lose their team.

Ottawa is 450 kms from Quebec City. That's not "close enough."
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post: