View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #57
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
BBC has a series - Fake or Fortune - dedicated to finding or validating 'lost' paintings. It's quite interesting with a lot of detective work involved. I recommend everyone to check it out.

This episode has a Canadian connection

That would be pretty frustrating. You trace all the material evidence, the paint, the canvas, the script on the back and everything back to the artist's studio and then some guy says, "Nope. It just doesn't feel right." So your million dollar painting is worth two hundred bucks.

We had a person buy a painting from my gallery and then sue us for fraud claiming it was fake. Another gallery that represented the artist in Toronto testified it was a fake. I guess the buyer forgot we had a photo of him and his wife with the artist in front of the painting at our exhibition in Calgary. Kind of hard to refute that evidence.

American Greed has a good episode of a forger who made upwards of 100 million by painting "the next great work" by famous artists. They finally busted him using modern paint. But often his paintings were better than the artist he was ripping off.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote