View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
Could you give some examples of an unnecessary vaccine?
I'd say an unnecessary vaccine is one administered to a person who has no realistic risk of actually getting the disease while there are shortages in areas or among demographics that do need them. The H1N1 vaccination program was a good example of that.

Quote:
Are any children still getting small pox vaccines?

We are actually getting close to eradicating polio on a global basis; there are only a couple countries in Africa left that are dealing with it. Once that happens I would expect that polio will be removed from the vaccine schedule.
Irrelevant to anything I said since I clearly stated that I am not against vaccinations in general. I am against using fear to convince people that vaccinations are necessary 100% of the time.

Quote:
As far as vaccines go, you are correct. However we would be better off to require people who opt out to pay for any damages caused to society if they act as carriers to vulnerable populations.
Interesting. Can you quantify what those damages are? It sounds pretty irrational to pin blame on a very small precentage of the population like that.

Quote:
Maybe the fault then lies in an misunderstanding of probabilities.
I have no misunderstandings of probabilities. I have a science background and have worked in high level research facilities in the past. The probability of an epidemic occurring because low risk people refuse to get vaccinated is pretty small. Let's not go overboard.