View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #45
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I'd say that is a scare tactic actually, and this is the way the media typically acts when flu season rolls around or some "pandemic" like swine flu comes about mysteriously.

Getting a measles shot is one thing but getting a seasonal flu vaccine every year is unnecessary. It's known that vitamin D supplements are just as effective, if not more so than taking the shot. I have not been seriously sick in years and I don't take any vaccines.
That's a solid sample size.

You do realize that the swine flu wasn't overhyped, the reason it never got to pandemic levels is because of vaccines.

Think about this:

There are 3 million people in Alberta. Suppose, 1% of those people got the swine flu. That's 30,000 people sick. Let's say, of those 10% of those people get seriously ill and had to be hospitalized. Now we're talking 0.1% of Albertans. That's 3,000 people, nearly half of Alberta's entire bed capacity being dealt with for swine flu (Alberta has about 8,000 beds). If you think the health care system is bad, think about 50% of your resources being consumed by a disease in the span of months.

This doesn't even account for the fact that I bet many rural hospitals aren't equipped to deal with an outbreak like that, not to mention the financial impact.

Our health care system isn't set up to treat in a small outbreak, and that's why prevantative medicine is far more efficent than reactive.