View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I think our top 6 prospects are all pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Noticeable lack of star potential forwards. Really solid top 3 d tho. Kylington, Valimaki, Anderson could all develop into top pairing guys. Hopefully we keep our 1st this year and can try and snag a gem forward.
While it is true that we have a lack of star power with the forwards, I agree with SeanCharles because I look at the NHL roster and what it needs.

We have Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, and Jankowski, all 25 or under. We have a good young core to build around.

What we need are some guys to fill that out, and to replace the complementary players, like Frolik, with cheap contracts as needed.

And with that being the case, I look at guys like Czarnik, Dube, Foo, Mangiapane, Lazar and Klimchuk and, to me, as long as we get 2 or 3 NHLers out of that pack to complement the core, that is what is required.

And the fact of the matter is that, even after moving out Hickey and Fox, we are still well stocked on D, with:

Hanifin (21)
Andersson (21)
Valimaki (19)
Kylington (21)

so that should provide a lot of support for cap management over the next few years.

The big thing - what it all comes down to for the future of the Flames IMO - can we develop a goalie?

We shall see, but having:

Rittich (25)
Gillies (24)
Parsons (20)
MacDonald (22)

There is at least a decent chance.

When evaluating prospect depth, you have to consider where the organization is currently, and what their needs are. The Flames have a solid young core and what they need going forward is a steady stream of complementary players to fill out the roster. And I think they are well positioned in that regard.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: