View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #3450
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’ve got a window that I’d like to frost and it appears there are a couple ways to go about this (spray or a film). Has anyone done this and what’s recommended?
Literally just did a custom door like this, here’s what I learned

The ‘spray-on’ stuff is kind of cool, looks sort of close enough to frosted glass, but isn’t very cost effective for large windows, and doesn’t offer a large amount of light filtering. Easily removable with a prepared razor.

You can get glass etching creme (Lee Valley, Kensington Art Supply, probably many other places). Works well, best suited to smaller surfaces from a value perspective, gives that nice etched glass look and feel.

For a large window, just get some window film. The static cling type from Amazon is okay, offers mid-level light filtering and it easy enough to apply, the stuff from Home Depot is significantly less.

Honestly, if it’s large project or you want to really have a nice result - 3M Fasara window films are the way to go. Dozens of options for light transmission, sheen, texture etc, and the real professional products. 1 yard x 60” should run you between $40-60 from ND Graphics. It’s the stuff industry uses, has the nicest finish and is cheaper per square foot.
I used the ‘Milky Milky’ on a glass bathroom door, and from 8 inches away you don’t get any actual shadowing through the window. It’s one of their most opaque films.