View Single Post
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #50
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess what makes me suggest that this election is not that different from others is that we get this hyperbole virtually every time. We've seen it in Canada (the "tanks/troops in our streets ads were about 15 years ago now). We've seen this kind of posturing in the US as well going back years. People were campaigning hard against George W, Clinton and of course Obama. When Barack won in 2008 I felt like that was a historical moment just based on the race issue alone.

I'm the furthest thing from a Trump supporter, and I think that his social policies, in particular, are the polar opposite of what I personally think. His "handling" of Covid has been a mess. His inflammatory rhetoric has certainly emboldened other racists and bigots. All that said, I don't know if my dislike of these things and the candidate makes it more historic than say 2016, 2008 or most of the other elections I've seen in my lifetime?
I am sure someone else will reply more eloquently but Trump represents the actual dismantling of the American system of rule of law and democracy. Full stop. He has actively dismantled many of the institutions that make America a world leader on important issues. Just look at what Barr has done and then imagine another four years of that. Another four years and the USA will not be recognizable from the last 250 years. As a resource-rich country without any means of self-defence, this should present a pretty significant threat. This is the most historically significant election in history and will determine the course of the US, and the world, for years to come.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post: