View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know you are a big F35 fan, so can you explain why the Typhoon isn't the best choice?
The F-35 has better sensors and inter-operability capabilities with other platforms. Its AN/apg-81 is the most advanced system in the world and is nearly undetectable so it can pinpoint a lot of targets at the same time and be used in concert with other platforms, its also highly frequency agile being able to switch through something like 1000 frequencies a second so its extremely hard to jam it. Plus its unique because its a steerable signal.

Plus whether we like it or not stealth capabilities are the wave of the future, while the Typhoon is already heading down an obsolescence track as more and more countries are investing in generation 4+ and beyond fighters. Its a pure dogfighter but its not stealth, so its more vulnerable especially in air to ground missions then the F-35

The reason why the British have bought F-35's in to work with their typhoons is that the Typhoon is basically going to be a missile truck for the F-35's sensors and scouting and intelligence gathering capabilities.

I think that people fixate on the Typhoon's dog fighting capabilities which are great, but the future now is sneaking into an area, labeling a ground or air target and then being able to inter operate with other planes or assets to destroy it.

Even if the Typhoon could pick up something like the F-35's radar and lock onto it, chances are another F35 without using its radar would kill it from an entirely different direction.

Plus the Eurofighter typhoon has a price per plane of $140 million dollars us, while Lockheed Martin is looking at a $85 to $100 million dollar per plane cost as its production run spools up.

The F-35 is considered a hacker aircraft and its capabilities and in theatre survivability and communications abilities are more in line with what Canada should be buying for a smaller airforce.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote