View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #59
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I hear what you're saying but I'm curious at season's end, what type of split you'd like to see for the goalies? If you're wanting Smith to play 55-60 games, you have to play your back-up at least every 4th game (on average).

You say it's unrealistic to start your backup every 4th game in October...but isn't it more unrealistic to suddenly start playing your back-up more in the middle of a playoff race?

I mean, the difference between Smith starting tonight vs. Saturday isn't huge. I'm just worried that a Smith injury will derail our entire season and think we should try to mitigate that risk as much as possible. I personally would have started Smith in Game 3 to get Rittich in the mix early and often...but what do I know as Smith played lights out!
I think the shutout trumps standard thinking. Smith was feeling it last game, in fact he has been feeling it since he stole that goal from Goldobin in the Vancouver game. The one thing that I have noticed from goalies is that they can get hot or go cold without warning...so ride the wave while you can...within reason.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote