View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
we have enough "dark" content on TV. Star Trek at its heart is about optimism for a future where disease, war, poverty, discrimination and all the things that plague us today have been reduced or eliminated. you can still have an excellent show that doesn't require it to take place in some sort of broken, apocalyptic alpha quadrant with photon torpedoes in everyone's face.

but I suspect that's where it'll end up heading anyways because it's easier to write and easier for the casual viewer to get into, because we're all cats chasing laser pointers.
I always kind of found those episodes where they talked about that as overly preachy about it.

In the Original series they talked about that, but every episode showed mankinds killer angel nature with an inviting hand reaching out in compassion and a sword in the other hand. It was a good balance. They even went at it directly in the episode where Kirk's personality was ripped in two, and the things that were admirable about the human species, kindness, compassion, consideration and equality couldn't survive without our demon side.

Even in Star Trek 5 they addressed it beautifully in what was otherwise a bad movie. When Spock's brother promised to release everyone from their pain and angst and bring them peace and Kirk snarled back that

Quote:
amn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: