View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #55
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Can that apply to spending a lifetime in Calgary, leaving, then coming back because you miss home but once you're there you long to leave again?
Part of why I'm very torn up about potentially having to move is that I have lived a decade in Toronto and worked for long periods in cities in a variety of places across North America and a couple in Asia, so I have sampled a lot of grass (no, not that kind). Pittsburgh was an eye-opener, economically. If comparing Calgary to Detroit comes off as extreme, I genuinely worry we could be like Pittsburgh at the beginning of its prolonged economic slump. In fact I think I saw an article a couple years ago that our city hall was consulting with their city hall around learning lessons from their recent revitalization.

It's more in my nature as a born and raised Calgarian to want to stay and be a part of the solution, but I have family perspectives in that regard to consider, the raw math of household financials & opportunity cost/alternative scenarios, and the fact that even if I did stay and do everything I can to fix things up I'm one person. It seems like there's a decent likelihood doing so would be futile at this point.

Last edited by RoadGame; 10-22-2020 at 12:59 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote