View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #63
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I agree with the bottom 5 comment simply because they should be stripping this team clean with guys who won't be here 3 years from now. However, in baseball, does it really matter if you get a top 5 pick? Due to signing bonus discussions before the draft, and the varying opinions on players, isn't there a wide set of opinions on each player, save the top 3 or so generally? So sometimes someone could be ranked on some publications the 4th best player, and that player could be drafted 35th based on teams chances at signing him and the varying opinion on their skillset. Baseball is interesting that way.
Ya you're definitely right in that the baseball draft includes a lot more variability and uncertainty than other professional league's drafts. Signability issues, whether they want to go to college and re-enter the draft in a couple years and hopefully improve their position and get a better bonus etc. But I definitely feel like having a top 10 pick is better than not having a top 10 pick. Gerrit Cole, Carlos Correa, Francisco Lindor, Trevor Bauer, Kris Bryant, Kyle Schwarber, Aaron Nola, Kyle Freeland, Alex Bregman, Andrew Benintendi were all picked in the top 10 between 2011 and 2015. I think only one of those was a first overall (Cole).
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote