Thread: [Game Takes] Sharks 3 Flames 1
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Disagree that it is pointless.

The reason it has been discussed is that a Flames coach actually did it. And it worked. It was part of a great achievement / overachievement . I thought it was a great way to take a non playoff team, expected by nobody to be a playoff team, and instill a playoff mindset. If you want to advance in the playoffs, you need to win 4 of 7

It seems like a good device, breaking the season in to chunks ahead of time. Trying to win each 7 game series, you need consistency. Maybe if you drop a couple, the effort picks up in the next five. If a 7 game set is a disaster, you have a clear point to reset.

Obviously coaches have many devices they use, and I have not heard Peters discuss using the 7 game chunks, so it’s not as directly relevant.

But at the time Hartley did it, it was nice to understand how the team was approaching the season, and as a fan being able to look at if the way that you knew they were.

I liked Hartley for a lot of reasons.
- “always earned, never given” - he walked the walk. He had to break a culture of unsuccessful entitled people and did
- sharing stuff like the 7 game segments. It got players and fans engaged

Think about what we see now, Peters saying they need better work ethic. How is he holding the team accountable? He isn’t sharing that

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 10-14-2019 at 05:22 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote