View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #16
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But if you have an active plate, how in the world would they determine you don't plan on transferring it over?

Seems like a perfectly legal way to get the vehicle home/to the registry etc. The only problem would seem to be the plate-less vehicle you may then have at home. But if it's parked in your driveway, should be fine.
The perfectly legal way is to either get an In Transit permit or register the vehicle properly. Slapping a plate on that is registered to another vehicle is not legal, unless as previously mentioned, you've traded it in and then you have 14 days to transfer the registraion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The link also doesn't say that you can't do what you just described. Which I imagine basically everyone who buys a used vehicle does.

At the registry they will ask if you need a new plate or transferring an old one.
Yah, no it is illegal to drive an un registered vehicle on the roads unless you've traded the old one in and transferring the registration, in which case you have 14 days and keep your bill of sale with you. Driving a vehicle with a plate that is registered to another vehicle is not legal but for coonvenience sake many people do it.

I've curbed my share of vehicles in the day and anyone can do whatever the heck they want, but slapping any old plate on a vehicle and driving it is against the law. Really you are just asking to be pulled over and treated like you've stolen the vehicle if plate is registered to someth G other then you're are driving.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote