View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM   #931
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Probably go back to their old playbook of anticompetitive tactics to keep AMD's market share down, then live with the slap on the wrist ($1.4 billion last time) they get for it.

I would put that it green text but I'm only half kidding....they may actually do that.
That's going to be a way tougher sell for Intel to pull with vendors this time around. Everyone has been significantly burned by Intel with Spectre, Meltdown and Zombieload. There have been Intel parts shortage that have caused industry-wide hits to vendors bottom lines (several on-going class action lawsuits) and Intel doesn't have solid answers in the product roadmaps to match AMD until the 2021/2022 time-frame.

With Snapdragon 8CX destroying Intel on the low end mobility even emulated, AMD attacking on the mid-high range with better Power/Performance/Price, motherboard vendors making bigger bets on AMD at Computex, HPE/Dell/Cray announcing Epyc server products... I have doubts those practices will have as big an effect this time around.

Not that Intel won't try like with the Tom's Hardware completely bias reporting from Computex (put out zero coverage of the ARM/AMD product launch but a glowing long Intel press piece on Ice Lake), but a lot of people will see through it this time around.

I included a highlight on products from both companies in the mid/high tier. Knowing power consumption is lower (TDP AMD measures is at full load vs TDP at intel is measured at base load AND 165W vs 105W on the top end for example), AMD IPC up to 15% better on benchmarks, AMD boards are socket compatible between generations, AMD support for PCIE 4.0, AMD pricing CPUs significantly lower than Intel, it'll be much harder for Intel to make a compelling argument for their consumer products. This is before realizing Intel needs a full core re-design to secure their multi-threading SMT architecture which will take more than a year... Intel seems only competitive in the ultra lower power space which Qualcomm will be competing with very soon.

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote