View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #2013
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not feel Twilight Princess had a better plot and it also had worse dungeons. SS arguably had the best dungeons in the series (though I still give the edge there to Majora's Mask). TP did have some fun dungeons - City in the Sky, Temple of Time, Snowpeak Ruins but on a whole just felt like a whole lot of going through the motions. Every dungeon in SS was amazing - with the only thing holding them back was when Fi would be "helpful" with a puzzle.

As for your other criticisms:

The motion controls were gimmicky. Wasn't the big deal it was blown up to be. And it resulted in some fun boss fights. If we're talking about gimmicks, then I felt BotW's climbing/(rain) gimmick and weapon break gimmick were both far more tedious. It's not as if motion controls hindered gameplay... they were just different.

The overworld was only terrible if you think of the sky as the overworld. It used a hub system, sort of like Majora's Mask and Super Mario Galaxy did, but once you went down to the main areas on the surface - the volcano, the woods, the lake, the desert, they were fun to explore. Not "explore" in the BotW sense of needing to examine every boring nook and cranny, but fun in terms of being exciting places to traverse. I actually thought these surface areas were the best pre dungeon exploration since the Oracles games back in 2001. All Twilight Princess had was a really big field and more dull environments, most of which felt all too familiar to anyone who played OoT.

And I never felt SS was padded. I wasn't crazy about the silent realm parts but I felt it was the perfect length for what it set out to accomplish. TP on the other hand felt like it dragged, and BotW realllly drags if you're remotely a completionist.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote