View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #1550
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What game is "super exciting" in comparison?
Honestly I think this is one of the hardest qualities to get into a game design, and I don't mean that I want the game design to be novel, but to be able to make exciting plays when I play it. I would like to find more games that are well designed and exciting.

I personally still love Catan, even though it's not well-regarded by modern standards. I feel like every build you make is a big play, particularly if it's contested. In terms of engine builders, nothing in Wingspan is as satisfying as getting down that big 6-cost in Race for the Galaxy that synergizes with your board, or sniping an award in Terraforming Mars with a card that you drafted at the start of the game.

Maybe what I mean by exciting is actually player interaction? But then I wouldn't really say that Agricola is particularly exciting, even though the interactions are very cutthroat.

Btw I do agree that the Euro expansion improves Wingspan, but I don't really think it brings more excitement, just better balance. Perhaps what excites me is to be able to use balanced components to do unbalanced things, and that's what Wingspan doesn't really offer? A lot of the birds are just variations on "when activated: gain a point". Sometimes I do things that I feel should be strong plays, but then when the points are added up it's like "I don't know why I bothered". (And if I were playing slower, I might know that in advance, but that's less like gaming and more like working.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: