View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #2182
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Build a house that will be elderly/disabled friendly. You limit resale because people are obsessed with basements.

I'm all for slabs, add in floor heat and you've got a great efficient house.

Or dig a hole in the ground and try and keep water out for the rest of the homes life. Haha.

I get the pros of a basement, utilities, extra space on a smaller footprint. In my town the rule is a single family dwelling has to be built with a basement, you actually have to get an fight to build a slab. With all the ground water, heaving and cracking issues I've seen over the years, not to mention weeping tile that plugs over time, I just don't see basements as a must.

The older I get the more I want a slab. There are so many issues that can be avoided in a slab.
First of all I agree with you. Having a finished basement opens up yourself to a whole range of potential problems. If I was ever building the basement would stay undeveloped. I would rough in plumbing for resale value if I ever sold. If my current house ever has any basement moisture issues in the future everything is getting ripped out and it will stay that way.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote