View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #399
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Joe Rogan, Bill Maher, John Oliver, etc etc. are all the equivalent of a "Rocks for Jocks" class.

Easy, accessible, and in this case focused just as much on your entertainment (like Flashpoint said) as they are about education or the broadening of your mind.

I see where the criticism is coming from. Rogan absolutely plays to the everyman. He's good at what he does in the sense that he's not diving deep on anything, just asking pretty basic, logical questions. And even that stumps some guests (like that idiot Shapiro). He has a wide range of guests, and I think he gets a bad rap because he invites some people who have pretty questionable views on things and doesn't always press them well enough.

In line with what I said a couple of days ago, his podcast is a lot like the idea of "just asking questions." There's not a ton of critical thinking required, and if you take it as is and stop short of exploring certain issues or ideas on your own, nobody is going to mistake you for a critical thinker just because you listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with an interesting guest (or a John Oliver episode on an interesting subject). If it's something that piques your curiosity, it's then on you to dive deeper and put the thought in.

But in defence of Rogan, that's not what he's about. He's entry-level entertainment into a world of big ideas. That can be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what people do next. But it's not his job to fill in the blanks. Never has been.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: