Thread: [CP Story] First Look At New Look Flames
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
looking forward to this new lineup under a new coaching philosophy; the NHL is about speed nowadays, so playing with tighter gap control makes sense if you have a roster that can execute that style.

I don't see it as an issue though...sure the bruins took advantage, but its the first game calgary played under Peters with a rebuilt roster versus the fourth best team in the NHL last year with 112 points...

i think people will be able to really see how the team is adjusting by the 20 game mark...hopefully, the Flames will still be within Friedman's maximum point separation at that point
I think the key was the adjustment.

The first period they gave up a lot of odd man rushes, especially in a tight window towards the end of the period.

Then it stopped.

Every system gives you something and exposes you to something else. The key is to play a system that you think the coach thinks fits the team, and to a lesser extent the era.

Another interesting element to me is the Oiler/Flames games at home and how much Valimaki is already playing that tight style. I don't think he's been perfect so far, but down the road he looks like his mentality is right up Peter's wave length, or he's adjusted his own game heavily this fall to fit where the Flames are trying to go.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: