View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #511
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I'll preface by saying I am a huge fan of Bennett. I was so excited when we drafted him...more excited than when we drafted Monahan or Tkachuk.

But I feel like he's starting to get seriously overvalued on here. If Sam Bennett was on the Canadiens, we would value him as much as Flames fans value Lehkonen. If he was a Bruin, he would be valued like Heinen. He's only a tier or two better than a dime a dozen type player.

Bennett tops out as a 40 point guy. Playing with McDavid, maybe he gets 50. His feistiness is admirable, but the guy doesn't have great awareness. He trips and stumbles his way to the front of the net where the puck will hit his ass and bounce in. He's got a pretty muffin shot. He's not overly allusive or shifty, doesn't create space well. He plays with a mentality of mucking things up and hope something good happens.

All that said, he's not worthless. He's a darn useful player. But so is Nuge. If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + Pulju you take it as a Flames fan 10/10.
Yeah, I would do that deal. RNH is a more effective player than Bennett, and we can afford to unload Brodie with our D-depth. With proper development we probably turn JP into at least a Bennett caliber player in a couple years. For Edmonton they could use offense at the D position, and Brodie provides that. None of their D carry the puck well up ice so that could add an element that's appealing to them. They can "get tough" with Bennett and try to shoehorn him into a C role again. Or attempt to make him McDs winger like all new acquisitions and try Leon at the 2C role again.

Edmonton gives up the best player and a project, and in return they get two players that will contribute now and bring elements they're severely lacking, at two positions. Calgary unloads Brodie's contract and gets closer to that center depth they're seeking that can win. It makes more sense than that Neal + Bennett for Lucic + JP vomit.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: