View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://theyyscene.com/2019/05/23/fei...1nleKNYntIicwU

Rumors are - there will be a new Coca-Cola stage next year, possibly a 10,000 seat below grade amphitheater, maybe where Big 4 Building is, or over by the Indian Village.
I was wondering if this would be the last year for the Coke stage in its current form, or if they'd try to get one more year out of it (it seems like most of the major construction on the BMO Centre and 17th Ave extension won't begin until after next year's Stampede).

I was looking at the map to figure out where a good replacement location would be, and there really isn't any good spot that wouldn't be taking away from something else. Also, one thing that's nice about the current location is that it's surrounded by grass and not just a bunch of asphalt.

The former Indian Village site is probably the best location. It's much larger than the current Coke Stage area and it's off the main traffic routes so the crowds won't clog up the pathways for people just trying to get around the park like can happen with the Coke Stage crowds now. The only potential negative for that location is that it's very close to the Grandstand, so I don't know if the noise from one would be a problem for the other.

Long-term, I have long believed that a large amphitheatre like the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto would be an excellent replacement for the Saddledome. Obviously, something like that couldn't be built until the new arena is built.