View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #48
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
It’s not that simple. Capt. MacDougall had seconds to make a decision in an extremely dire situation that would have handcuffed most. He clearly did his best.

It appears the aircraft lost power shortly after departure, pilot made a decision to pull up and convert what energy he had into altitude in hopes of either making it back to the airport or to a point where he could safely level off, place the aircraft where it would not impact anyone on the ground and punch out. He hung on as long as he could hoping for a better outcome, the aircraft was recovered from an incipient spin prior to ejection which supports that theory. This is all my speculative opinion of course.
I haven't gone thru military jet training but I can tell you in civilian flight training they don't train you to pull up 60 degree's over population when you loose your engine, that move is a 100% catastrophic stall in an aircraft with small wing and tail surfaces for it's weight. When the engine blew the thompson river would have been just to his right or possibly straight ahead and under him, he was going fast enough to do a level wing slight climb to slow a little to either safely eject or possibly try a water landing. I personally would eject once I knew the aircraft was away from population.

I'm sticking to my thoughts he had very little to no control.

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 05-20-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote