View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #26
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Hey guys, thought I would poll the board a bit on a topic that seems to be relatively common among those I talk to.

I was lucky enough tear my ACL (verified by MRI) playing basketball at the end of July 2019. Almost a year later I am still waiting for a surgery consultation to determine next steps and hopefully schedule a surgery date. (all dates now pushed even further out due to COVID )

So having never gone down this path previously, I have a few questions.

-For those who elected to go through the surgical route, are you glad you did? Was it a success?
-For those who had specific ACL surgery, what method did you have done (pettelar tendon, Hamstring graft or Donor graft)
-For those who elected against surgical repair and chose to live with it, what have you done to get it feeling a bit more normal? I exhausted my physio benefits and got it to a point where I can walk normally, still play hockey with a custom brace, etc. But it feels like the progress has plateaued and maybe regressed a bit.

Any other advice for someone currently waiting to make this choice?
To Answer your question for myself
I did surgery, Left knee 2011 (patella tendon used) and right knee 2013 (hamstring used) my second one was done by doctor french, he only ever (at that time) two patients that had one of each, me being one of the two, both of us like the hamstring better. If you do not have meniscus issues you can be walking again rather fast, less than a week. my second knee had meniscus sewn and I was on crutches for 7 weeks. With the first knee it was misdiagnosed and I played soccer, tennis, hockey etc on it before hurting it again. but without getting it fix it would 'blow out' periodically, so I would recommend the surgery if you plan to play sports for a given period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post: