View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #57
flaming_potato
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Need to replace the hardwood flooring in a condo that got some water damage, it's a concrete floor (or a thin layer of concrete anyway) underneath with in-floor hot water heating, so I assume it's an engineered floor that I'm looking for?

First thought is porcelain tile in the kitchen / entry and stay with wood everywhere else.

Any alternatives out there that I should consider? It's a high end condo so I'll probably avoid laminate. Bamboo seems kind of nice but not sure if it's as durable, the stuff that's in there now still looks like new even though it is 14 years old.
I would recommend tile in the kitchen area and wood everywhere else like you said. As for the hardwood material bamboo is nice but doesn't fare too well in Calgary's climate I find, it's just too dry here. If you are really thinking of going with bamboo, make its not the cheap stuff and make sure you can control the humidity in your condo to the materials specs. As for other material you can go with engineered hardwood either click together or glue together. You can also do a 3/4" solid hardwood as long as it it glued down to the subfloor. Also, does your condo board have specific rules on underlay or soundproofing?

flaming_potato is offline   Reply With Quote