View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #296
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm actually surprised NHL teams seem to keep recycling old GM's as the trend in sports is to go younger at management (I think 75% of MLB GM's are under 50). I don't see a lot of upside in hiring a soon to be 64 year old GM that's long on the tooth and just got replaced by the younger and better version of himself in Detroit. I could see if the Oilers were on the cusp of winning the cup and needed a veteran GM to make some key tweaks but we are talking about a team that's made the playoffs once in 12 years that needs a lot of work. I don't think the Flames would be in as good a place as they are today if Burke assumed the GM role full time as you just know he would have added too many truculent players at the expense of skill. Just seems like this league really likes to cling to the dinosaurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
^ With the roster they have, and the promises they made, I think they need to sell hope more than anything.

Hiring an unknown up-and-comer with this roster expecting the playoffs will just end up being another failed GM... but with a name, they can point to history until fans have enough
exactly

its all about risk aversion...going out and hiring a complete unknown can go very badly for you if things go sideways - "you hired an unproven guy, of course this was going to happen"

At least with a retread, like the previous poster mentioned, you can point to the past record and say, 'well, look he failed, but i couldn't have known that based on past successes'

A lot of posters weren't sold on Yzerman as a GM when he went to TB: too green, too inexperienced, DRW were successful due to Holland and Nill, etc, but Tampa could hire him because he faced zero scrutiny in that market.

So they were able to hire a bright young GM instead of some washed up GM forced into retirement by the team he spent 30+ years with

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: