View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on the amount of grass you want to remove, rent a sod cutter instead. The RU will work but you'll still have to dig up the grass somehow. This is a PITA. You won't be able to rototill it. I've tried. It doesn't work

A better alternative is to build a raised bed over the grass. Make the border and then put topsoil on top, leaving the grass there. It'll die soon enough.

RU is not illegal in Calgary. Only combination weed'n'feed products are banned for consumer sale.

Quote:
Anyone have any reccomendations for herbs or vegetables to grow in a low light area? I have a small flower bed in my yard, but since it's the back of a building surrounded by other buildings there's little to no direct sunlight on the flower bed. It gets some reflected light but not a ton.

I'd like to grow some sort of small herb garden, hopefully basil, mint and chives, but I'm not sure how well it'll do. If there's anything else I should consider I'm all ears.
Most vegetables need all the light they can get, but lettuce and spinach prefer partial shade. What kind of flowers do you have in the bed?