Thread: CP Cook Book
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #26
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
Maritime - I have a very similar cinnamon bun recipe. I pronounce your recipe sound and give it the Mrs. Suave nod of approval.

Some hacks for your cinnamon bun recipe:
1. Let the dough rise twice for enormous buns. (raise once as dough, punch down, roll out, roll up, arrange in pan and allow to rise again - 45 mins to an hour before baking.)

2. Let dough rise in a cool oven with a pan of water in in it. What's a cool oven? That's when you either turn on the light bulb, but not the stove OR turn the oven on to its lowest setting (170 to 200 depending on your oven, then switch it off) before putting the dough in to rise.

3. Put a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven while you bake. Because we're high and dry in Alberta, dough has a tendency to rise too fast and get "brittle" or dry. Baking with a pan of water will make your buns fluffy moist and divine.

4. Make a caramel sauce and put it in the bottom of the pan (before the buns). Sprinkle pecans or walnuts on the sauce before adding the buns. When the buns are baked, a delicious caramell-y, sticky, cinnamon-y, sticky layer is the crowning glory.
I have let the dough rise for additional time, including after putting the rolls in the pan and not baking them for another hour or so.

My brother is a chef, he looked at the recepie and said "there's a better way to do that" and then spoke some gibberish that was vaguely like English.

Ironically he just went out to Calgary to loom for work. We're going to (well he's going to) tweek the recepie with me (for me) next time he's home.

I use the generic vanilla frosting from the can on them, works well enough for me.

I can't add nuts as the wife can't eat them, but I like your philosophy with them.

Glad that you enjoyed them.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote