View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Second game ever at the Dome - hopefully better than the first

Hi everyone,

Since I'm tired of coming here and NOT seeing a Bennett contract signing thread, I was hoping to get some advice. Some of you may remember my sad thread for my first ever game at the Saddledome, where we were shellacked by Edmonton - and I just can't let that sit as my last time at the arena before the Flames get a new barn to play in.

I'll try to be brief - I have a 5-year-old son with a rare metabolic disorder called PKU. He has the potential to not experience any significant problems as long as he keeps to his diet, but it is VERY restrictive and unfortunately a lifelong condition. You'd never know there was anything different about him and he is the most pleasant and happy young guy you'll ever meet, but the PKU thing can be hard on him, especially now that he's looking at starting kindergarten here in a few weeks and will be around a lot of other kids who don't understand why he has to eat the way he does and drink his special formula for most of his meals.

We have been trying to transition him to a more socially acceptable cup to eat from (he primarily has been drinking out of bottles since he was born), and it was really tough for him - I asked him if there was any carrot or incentive that would make it easier for him, and when I suggested a Flames game he absolutely lit up and has been a total champ ever since. We settled on the game on 10/13 against the Sens, and I am wondering what the recommendations would be from folks that know the Saddledome as well as you do.

As we make the trek up from Seattle for the game, what I am looking for is:

1) Seating where he'll be able to see the action. He's built like a standard five-year-old, but I don't want to be holding him most of the game just so he can see what is going on. I don't need seats on the glass or even in the lower bowl, but this is his first NHL experience so I want him to love it.
2) Seating where the environment can be as family-friendly as possible; I recognize that this is a crapshoot, but if there are parts of the arena that I should avoid in this regard, it would be good to know.
3) Seating where the "C" at center ice is seen right-side-up. I know this is silly, but it's his only request. I think he just wants to see it like he sees it on TV since that's his context.

I was thinking about the Platinum Club, as I would assume it satisfies most of the above - but I'd love to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance - I can't tell you guys how excited he is (hell, I'm excited myself). He asks about it every day and whenever he's struggling with his diet, we talk about being able to see Gaudreau, Monahan, and Ferland in person (Ferland is his favorite player), and he powers right through. I appreciate it!
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post: