Thread: The AAF thread?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Are they offering odds on whether the league folds after 2019? That might be the smarter play...

I think it will be decent football to watch (comparable to NCAA), but it's going to bleed money once they have full rosters, injuries, etc.

And if you think of how few XFL guys parlayed that into an NFL career (Tommy Maddox, Rod Smart), most guys either stopped playing or went back to the CFL. I don't buy it as being a "developmental" league for the NFL.

I see this as much closer to the USFL than the XFL. The USFL was doing OK until Donald played his usual Trump card and unintentionally allowed his ego to sabotage the whole thing.

Regardless of that history, this league has some financial backing and, as it turns out, a whole lot more media exposure than anything before it.

Some of the locatons are a bit odd as well but maybe were the ones that had a more sloid business model? I have no idea.

I will tune in to see the quality of the product. Like many players before them a lot of these guys couldnt translate their game to the Canadian model but thrive in the American rules.

I hope it fails ultimately because it is/will be a drain on CFL teams to compete for talent, but also realize there may be room for a "minor" league for the NFL after all these years.