View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's too much canon/continuity from original Trek to continue it on. I love TOS (my favorite series) but even I have to admit that when they went back to the 23rd century in Enterprise, it's pretty hokey to force the idea that technology just happened to look like the 1960s set design inside the canon of the show.

TNG itself is horribly cheesy for the most part, if viewed today. Voyager is the worst of the lot. DS9 was a triumph of 90s television and was the only one to build a strong universe that I would want to see a continuation of.

CBS looks like it's trying to use Star Trek as an anchor franchise (they probably have a few more planned) to be the tent poles of their new streaming service as they see the writing on the wall. The problem is that there are going to be too many streaming services to subscribe to if you want a specific awesome show. Netflix for their original content (Marvel TV Universe), HBO (Game of Thrones), Amazon (Top Gear), and now CBS (Star Trek), etc. that it will add up pretty quickly and people are just going to pirate even more.

The only thing I don't want is Abrams universe ship-design. Those are ugly space-tubs, designed by the same guy who made the garbage from the Star Wars prequels.
My biggest worry with a reboot is the potential for lazy writing. Just take the best parts of the old universe and just redo them, but "edgier".

I'd prefer the new series to be set in the original universe. As long, as the plot wasn't overly dependent on the original series, it could work. Given the amount of time, that's passed since the previous series, that wouldn't be too hard to pull off. They could even do what TNG and TOS did and have it start 100 years after the previous series. This allows you to keep the other shows as cannon but essentially create a new universe.

But yeah, I think it's going to be entirely a reboot. I just hope they don't continuously pull in TNG actors in for cameos via some extra-dimensional transport.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: