View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #65
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Fans also under estimate how long 5 or 6 years is. Sure 8 years would be great to sign tkachuk for but if you're paying 9 per when 6 gets 7.75ish and 5 gets you 6.75 things could go pretty good for the flames for 5 years at 6.75. Like 5 straight years of being an elite team where 9 this summer really restricts this team for 2 years then all you're doing is planning Johnny's new deal after that

Even when Johnny is a ufa having Monahan tkachuk lindholm hanifin all signed for under 7 in a 90 mil cap world probably allows some flexibility

See the Oilers when you talk always going for max term and how that looks
Brad is very smart with how he structures term. If he sticks with 6 years that means that Matthew is up for renewal at least 1 year after everybody else, with Lindholm & Hanifin due for big raises the previous offseason. And by then the salary cap would have increased to the point of being able to absorb a raise of 3-4 million at best and keep him a Flame.

If that figure of 7.75 for 6 years is pretty on the mark, then it means that Matthew signed for about the same percentage of the salary cap that the "Giordano" cap of 6.75 was signed at. I believe he would rather use this figure to set the new era "Tkachuk" cap that will decide future contracts for all, over trying to lowball him at 6.75 x 5.

It is for these reasons that I think he will try to push hard for a 7.75 x 6 over pushing the AAV higher to lock him up for an extra two seasons. And if I were in Tkachuk's camp I'd be of course pushing for max term of 8 and the highest AAV. Guaranteed money.