View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #86
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is tough for us to figure out who should be the captain. Tough to gauge who says what in the room, and who listens to whom. I guess without knowing 'the room', we of course can only talk from a fan's perspective. These are my leading candidates from what I have seen from them.

• Lucic - Probably the best current Flame when it comes to media. Stanley Cup winner (always a bonus). Supposedly very vocal in the room, and well-liked and respected. However, the Flames would be cornering themselves into having to keep him, and I am sure he would be one of the first 'cap casualties' if the Flames decide to sign additional players from the UFA heap, or trades that bring in cap. Outside of the contract situation, he would be my first choice. With the contract situation, I guess he shouldn't be getting any consideration.
  • Tanev - Everybody respects him, and he plays the game the right way. He is professional and him being 'dad' is well-known. I don't think this would be taken as a poor choice at all.
  • Backlund - longest tenured Flame to date, and has never complained or pouted. Gets the tough assignments, and makes life easier for the other lines. Works hard, and seems to be a very mature and sensible choice. Who would argue with choosing him? There is not argument against him AFAIK - I can't think of any reason. He would probably make a great captain.
  • Huberdeau - he has one more year remaining on his deal, and just signed an 8 year extension, so barring unforeseen circumstances, he is going to be here for the next 9 seasons. Will instantly be the most dynamic player, and wore an A in Florida too. This seems like a no-brainer. Do you give it to the new guy in his first season, however? In these 9 years he will be on the Flames, he most certainly will creep into many Flames franchise top ten lists - maybe games played if he stays healthy enough, maybe assists and points - who knows.
  • Lindholm is another guy that probably deserves recognition. Accepts all roles and assignments without pouting. Plays hard and seems well-spoken too in his media availabilities. He seems like captain material to me.
If I am the Flames, I would give it to Backlund, and then in a few seasons, it becomes Huberdeau. I personally just find it a bit weird that the new guy - without the benefit of having existing relationships with the majority of players in Calgary - suddenly becomes the captain. That would be my only concern there. One of the captain's roles is to act as the intermediary between the coach and a player, and a captain has to have a good relationship with both to be more effective. Huberdeau certainly seems like captain material to me - I am sure he would make an excellent captain. I just think that maybe he needs a season or two to build up those relationships first.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Flames go another year without naming someone still and see how it all shakes out, and have the players make the choice in time. Mangiapane I think deserves some consideration, but with stronger veteran personalities like Lucic and Tanev available, maybe he just needs to mature.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote