View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #39
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I have grown far more sympathetic and compassionate to aboriginal and indigenous people, their history and affairs as I get older. Listening to stories from those directly affected - across multiple generations - is an exercise all Canadians need to listen to and understand. A completely difference understanding and perspective than what I had growing up as a naïve youth.
My too. I'm really ashamed to admit that I was prejudice against and stereotyped First Nations people a lot when I was younger and even up until recently to some degree. That changed when I had a friend focus her dissertation on the historical and present day treatment of First Nations people in Canada and it really opened my eyes to the injustices they faced and still face today. I never once learned about any of the things they went through when I was going to school and was completely ignorant to the trauma that is ingrained in the community. It's embarrassing for me and all I can do now is continue to educate myself and listen to their stories.

I hope they get justice.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: