View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 06:41 PM   #11516
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
The primary driver is a general lack of worker protections which in turn provides little recourse for employees who are being exploited in the workplace. A TFW working in a place with good worker protections will be treated the same as a non TFW employee, that doesn’t suppress or lower wages and yet the TFW is still there. According to your theory that shouldn’t happen.
To this point, are unionized companies or at the very least companies with good worker protections using the TFW program?

I had always assumed (and this really does point to a personal bias) that the vast majority of companies who use the program are doing so exactly for the reason Azure is talking about? If it is only the shady/exploitive companies that are using the program than the scenario you made doesn't really exist.

I agree with the rest of your point, and would love to be enlightened otherwise, but I just see that program being used exactly as described; to bring in low skill workers willing to work for less than the average Canadian and thus suppressing wages. I agree there are a lot of other issues also suppressing wages, but I believe that without the TFW program, wages would definitely have to rise in order to attract the workers required.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
GGG