View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Wireless Home Phone

I've really wanted to ditch our landline for quite a number of years now, but we've kept it active because of our security system. So I figured it I have to keep the line active, I should at least try to pay a lot less for it. I saw that a whole bunch of wireless companies like Telus, Rogers, Virgin, and others offer wireless home phone. They all seem to use some variant of this box

paired with a SIM card to provide home phone service through their cell network.

We have Telus internet, so it seems like home phone through this would only cost $10 a month, which is a lot cheaper than we're paying now. The problem is that the Telus website specifically states that this service does not work with security systems.

To me that sounds like something they say just so they don't have to walk people through wiring the thing up to a security system, but I don't see why I couldn't just cut the end off a phone cable or use a piece of cat5e and an RJ11 connector and wire this box directly into my phone distribution block.

Does anyone know if there are additional technical limitations that would prevent me from doing that, or does anyone have experience using this kind of setup with a security system?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote