View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I haven't read it in a while but I agree, because it all came rushing back. That being said, being a faithful representation doesn't always do the trick. The best example I can think of is Snyder's Watchmen movie. That thing was very true to the book for the most part, did everything in order and only really took liberties with the ending (which had to be done). Yet it completely lacked the magic of the source material, because it just didn't translate. You needed the nuance and detail that don't show up on screen.

I'm probably being overly pessimistic but I am just cautious. I just think if you were going to make a Gaiman work into an HBO show, frankly, even Sandman would've been easier than this to swing.
A reasonable take. Honestly though, Gaiman to me is like a digestive cookie. They're actually pretty tasty, comfortable and filling, but dry as hell. Gaiman has excellent storytelling, characterization, and world-building, but his literary pacing and overall feel are just always a bit lacking to me, in no novel more than American Gods (though I do appreciate that is has less forced whimsy than books like Neverwhere and Stardust).

I honestly believe Bryan Fuller is the kind of producer that can pull this off, because he knows pacing, his visualizations are (already evidently) excellent and visceral, and he adds that much needed "wetness" to the dry material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote